Dear 7th Grade Parents:
Welcome to our sixth month in 7th Grade: February, and a New Year; 2019! Well, we made it through 2018, and hopefully ready for all the wonderful things we will continue to learn together about your child’s 7th grade year in 2019. So now, you may take a few quick breaths, and prepare for a busy month ahead, as well as a few important items below, you may wish to add to your February calendar.
7th Grade February NEWSETTE
Hello Parents, and welcome to the sixth edition of the 7th grade Newsette. This is a monthly newsletter to help keep you informed of all the wonderful news happening in 7th Grade land, throughout the year.
Each newsletter consists of monthly calendar items, housekeeping items, important news to share and noteworthy subject information of those things we are covering in each subject, as well as discussing certain projects and their due dates.
So, let’s get on with the news!!
- Jan. 27-Feb. 1–Catholic School’s Week
- February 2–Rosario’s Birthday
- February 11-Aden’s Birthday
- February 13–Erin’s Birthday
- Feb. 12-14 SMS Accreditation Visit
- Feb. 14-12:00 Dismissal
- Feb. 15-22–Mid-Winter Break/No School
- February 22–Alexa’s Birthday
- February 23–Liam M.’s Birthday
- March 8–End of 2nd Trimester
- March 11–Jordyn’s Birthday
- March 15–No School/Teacher In-Service
- March 18–Aurora’s Birthday
- March 30–Andrew’s Birthday
For further dates and information on class activities, assignments, and projects, please check the calendar link on my home page. **Power School will be updated at the end of each week in all subject areas, so please make sure that you and your child log in to keep yourself current with their progress!
For Information regarding Room Parent Volunteer Commitments or Opportunities, please contact, our Room Parent. Call the school office for contact information.
HOUSEKEEPING ITEMS TO NOTE:
****If your child misses a day of school, he/she has 2 days for every day they missed to complete the absent work. For example: if Bob is absent on Monday and returns Wednesday, his missed work is due the following Monday in class. Also, as our school policy states, if a need arises to contact your child during the school day, whether it be to pick them up for an appointment, leave a message, bring a lunch or another item from home, please leave these items at the school office and the office will notify me. I will make sure that these important items are brought to my room the same day to deliver to your child. All absent work can also be picked up that same day, by 3:00—–and will be brought either to the school office for you to pick up, or sent home with a sibling or another student. Just let me know what works best for your schedule.
- Please make sure your child is using their student planner during the week to copy from the class white board their daily assignments. This organizational tool is key to their future success in their middle school classes.
- Progress Reports are always on line to view each week with your child. Please use these grading periods as a time to discuss with your child areas of strengths and improvements to use as a gauge for the rest of the trimester.
- Please make sure your child has all their supplies updated on a regular basis, including, markers, notebook paper, folders, glue sticks, pens(blue or black and red), pencils, colored pencils, calculators, etc. **All of their teachers will thank them, and you!!
*****Be sure to check my “7th Grade Daily Homework” link on my website homepage for project dates and other activities each month!
- All students in 7th grade will be writing in Cursive with a pen for all written work or on the computer turned in and done in class.
- Thank you to those parents who volunteer to help as room parents during the year at various activities. I’m sure with all of your wonderful support, the children will experience some fun and exciting opportunities throughout the year.
- Each day, your child needs to make sure he/she has a reading book to read in class, whether it is from home or the library. This book may also count for AR points during the month.
- Make sure to cover all hardback books with wither a paper bag, or soft cover. Students will each receive a number that is assigned to them that will correspond to all book numbers.
- Make sure to also supply your child with a backpack or bag for them to carry their books and other homework items to bring home each night.
- PE days are Mon. and Wed. Please make sure that your child is wearing the SMS PE uniform and appropriate shoes on their assigned day.
Important Items that are Noteworthy:
- Thank you for the great support in helping organize your child each week with their Binder and checking their weekly corrected work handed out each week.
Down the road, we will all see the benefits of all the time spent in this organizational piece to 7th grade. Kudos to you all!!
- For all important matters that may come up during the year with your concerns with school or family, please either phone me at school and leave a message or write me a note. I ask that e-mails be of lighter issues concerning matters that do not need immediate responses, or just to let me know facts like when your child will not be at school or other issues along those same lines. I appreciate your support in this communication.
The following will give you a brief update of what is happening for each subject that I teach during the month of February. For additional information, please check the St. Madeleine’s Website for another teacher’s subject area.
****Students will be logging on to the Star Assessment program for a review of Math and Reading skills for the year. Here are the weeks/dates for the year for our Star Assessments in both Math and Reading:
LITERATURE/WORDLY WISE: We have read a few stories from our Reading Book in Unit 1 & 2, and worked on various reading skills that include comprehension, vocabulary, main idea and higher level thinking skills.
**We just finished our first novel of the year: “The Giver” by Lois Lowry, and did many individual and group activities and projects around the plot and theme of the book. We plan to view the movie as well, to compare the book and the movie this month. **Our next novel will be “The Outsiders” which we will begin in February.
Wordly Wise: We will continue with our work in Wordly Wise each week, and learning a new set of words to understand and develop our vocabulary.
The students should also be reading daily (15-20 minutes each day at home), including silent reading done in class) towards their required AR Points each Trimester. **This Year, the total recommended AR points are: 60 Points!
WRITING/LA LAB: We are working on our creative writing skills, as well as the 6 Traits of Writing, and other writing activities around sentence and paragraph structure, and using basic grammar correctly in our writing.
LA LAB: This year, we will also continue our course from last year for all students to focus exclusively on grammar and writing skills. In this Language Arts course, we will weave the concepts covered in the grammar class into our daily writing.
Study Skills: This year, we also began a new ELECTIVE course for students to focus exclusively on organizational and management skills, as well as study and testing taking skills. In this course, we will weave the concepts covered in the class into our daily academic areas.
Well, I think February’s Newsette has run out of news…..until next month. I just want all of you to know how fortunate and blessed I am to have the opportunity to help guide your child, with you as partners, through this new year.
Here’s to a positive and most continued productive year together. I wish to thank you for all that you do for your child’s educational journey. Since you are their primary teachers, I’m honored to be on the same team!
Blessings to all of you, and may 2019 continue to be filled with much health, happiness, and peace.
May God be with you,
Thanks for taking your precious time to read!
Di Shepp 🙂
****GO WSU COUGS!!!!!!!